Dual-Measure Scope Swap and
Body Transplant options
Dual-Measure Tooke® Gage features
- The Dual-Measure scope shows 1 mil per hashmark space above the line and 20µm per hashmark space below the line.
- The Tooke® Gage measures coating thickness on wood, dry wall, plastic, cement, glass, ceramics, non-ferrous as well as ferrous metals, etc.
- Assists in measuring brittleness and adhesion of coatings and materials.
- The provided tips are 1✕, 2✕, and 10✕ cutting tips, installed in the gauge body. An optional 5✕ cutting tip is available. A set of three same-faced tips or a single operable tip with two “blank” tips (to provide lateral stability) can be ordered. See tip details here: Measuring: the Geometry of the Tooke® Gage (4 pages) – 887kB. This printable document also includes a measuring demonstration. A separate measuring demonstration will be available soon.
- Each gauge comes in a rugged plastic carrying case with tip wrench, indelible marker, spare LED bulb, and spare batteries.
Replace your (discontinued) “universal” metric-unit scope with
the new Dual-Measure scope measuring both U.S. standard units AND metric units.
The Scope Swap puts the new Dual-Measure scope in your current gauge, replacing the discontinued universal scope. The universal scope has hashmarks measuring 50µm; the metric line in the new DM reticles measures 20µm / hash. You can also swap out the old-style green-barrel scopes, but also read the Reticle Swap section below.
All scopes are validated against NIST-traceable gage blocks before release top customers. If a calibration with certificate is desired, see below.
It may be possible* to replace the English-unit or metric-unit reticle in your old-style,
green-anodized scope with a new Dual-Measure reticle, so you have your old
scope (and gauge) body with the new reticle. Almost always, the reticle swap
works fine, but it᾿s not guaranteed.
This swap cannot be done to a universal scope; the reticle won᾿t fit in the barrel. It only applies to the old-style green-anodized barrel. You᾿d only want this if you want or need to add a metric-unit scale to your English-unit scope. The Dual-Measure reticle has the same English-unit scale (1 mil / hash) but adds a metric scale (20µm / hash). Thus, the D-M metric scale measures much finer (as against the universal᾿s 50µm per hash).
*It is only possible but not guaranteed that the reticle can be swapped into the old-style body. Focusing the new reticle on the NIST-traceable gage blocks depends on occasional / historical manufacturing differences in both scope barrel and gauge body, usually depending on its date of manufacture. Options if the new reticle won't focus in your old-style scope are:
- keep your old single-scale reticle, or
- replace the entire scope.
Call or email for details.
- The Technical Data Sheet for the OG212 and OG214 Tooke Gage is available to be printed on 8-1/2-by-11-inch and A4-sized paper.
- A detailed explanation of the geometry of the Tooke Gage called “ Measuring: the Geometry of the Tooke Gage” is available.
In the American coatings industry, the word gauge is usually spelled “gage.” Because the Tooke® Gage is – and always
has been – known by this spelling, I have used that spelling in the proper name of the gauge, but not elsewhere.